DIY Boot Tutorial: Moccasin Masterclass
DIY Boot Tutorial: Moccasin Masterclass:
This DIY boot tutorial is sponsored by Tandy Leather.
Their mission is “To teach and inspire the art of leathercrafting, one person, one class, one neighborhood, one community at a time.” I’m inspired every time I open the catalog. I want to make so many projects. This project is one of my favorites and I am glad I can share my tips and tricks from years of experience.
I’m Teri Edmonds and I have been in the shoe industry for over 18 years. In this tutorial, I demonstrate the Plains Boot Moccasin from Tandy Leather. As a shoe designer, I have looked for simple patterns that I could do from home. I liked this pattern so much that I taught courses on it. I continue to make and sell the boots to my custom order clients. If you want to learn more about me, visit my About Page.
This course includes a beginner and an advanced boot. The beginning tutorial follows the instructions provided in the pattern pack. I adjust the hand stitching some and I prefer mine without the fringe. The advanced tutorial uses glue and machine stitching instead of hand stitching. I used my new Janome 3000 stitcher for the project. I have included a list of the supplies used in this video along with their part numbers for easy ordering.
- Plains Boot Moccasin Pattern 6035-00
- All Purpose Needles, 1201-00
- White Wax Braided Chord 11210-05
- Saddle Deertan Side 9124-21
- Leather Marking Pen 2097-00
- Poly Cutting Board 3464-00
- Self-healing Cutting Mat 3463-04
- Craftool Grid Ruler 3605-00
- Janome HD 3000 sewing machine 3797-00
- Large Rawhide Mallet 3300-04
- Craftool #1 round hole drive punch
- Hand Sewing Punch 3559-00
- Craftool Pro Super Shears 3050-00
- Easy Grip 60 mm Rotary Cutter 3039-00
Iʻve used Tandy Leather products since I started designing shoes.
I like ordering from the catalog, but you can find everything you need on their website at tandyleather.com
If The Shoe Fits
250 Alamaha St., unit N-7
Kahului, HI 96732
( next to Goodwill )
Hours of Operation
Tuesday - Friday 10am - 5pm
(Closed for lunch, 1-2pm)
Saturday 10am - 12pm